Camilo may have outgrown the “Rising star” moniker. The Colombian singer/songwriter sold out Wiznik Center in Madrid (capacity 15,000) for the second time in a month. According to concert promoter Jorge Iglesias of Berin Iglesias Art, Camilo is the best-selling international artist to date in Spain this year, with more than 200,000 tickets sold. And those are headline artist sales, mind you; no festival sales.
Watching a sold-out Wiznik Center stand for nearly three hours was thrilling enough, but here are five more of Camilo’s best moments from the show as he nears the end of his tour of Spain.
1. Mustaches are a thing: Remember those blue wigs that popped up all over Karol G’s shows? Or the shark costumes with Bad Bunny? With Camilo, it’s his signature mustache, which fans have used to paint on their faces.
2. It’s A Family Affair: Camilo’s show may have started at 9:30pm on a Wednesday night, but kids were plentiful. About 15-20% of the crowd fell into the category 15 and under, and they were some of the most avid fans in attendance, playing plates and dancing to the beat of cumbia and other Latin beats. Elsewhere, it was a multi-generational affair, with fans ranging from teenagers to grandparents.
3. This Isn’t Reggaeton: Not at all. Camilo sings live for three hours, supported by a live band with not a single DJ in sight. While many of his hits may have reggaetón beats in them, the core of this particular artist is versatility, evident in songs that range from feel-good pop to regional Mexican strains and traditional Latin American boleros. The lyrics running through it are full of light, positivity and good vibes, which starts to explain why all those kids (see no. 2) are there.
4. Women In A Different Light: Don’t expect to see hard booty shake at a Camilo show. Yes, there is dancing, a lot, but women are highly regarded here, starting with Camilo’s wife, the equally famous Evaluna. Not only does she take the stage twice to perform with hubby, but Camilo also makes it a point to say, “Isn’t my wife beautiful?” And yes, she is.
5. All His Friends Show Up: Camilo’s upcoming new album will feature duets with the likes of Alejandro Sanz, Nicki Nicole and, of course, Evaluna. Both Sanz and Nicki Nicole showed up to perform their singles (Sanz, we should note, to thunderous applause; he’s a Spanish icon). Dani Martín also performed, who has recorded with Camilo before. The support may signal more guest appearances in the future.