Angelina Jolie is more than just an otherworldly beauty that we don’t deserve on this planet. She’s the only daughter of Marcheline Bertrand and Jon Voight, so her destiny as an actress was always sealed. Here are all the steps of Jolie’s journey up until she became a serious household name, and embodied the definition of Hollywood.
1. Angelina Jolie was a total smoke show as a teen, rocking long dark hair with that smoldering look that way beyond her years. Little did this innocent teen know, she would undergo major beauty transformations over the next few decades.
2. Here she is at the Playing God premiere back in 1997, before she was as famous as she is today. Her acting career hadn’t yet taken off completely, but that short haircut was a game-changer — her angled supermodel face pulled it off with ease.
3. Then came the movie Family, which changed everything for Angie. Even at her red carpet appearance for the premiere, she had a new type of confidence with her, but the all-white look was a surprising departure from the all-black-everything, edgy girl that we would come to know in the next decade.
4. She went for something a little more sleek and sexy when she won a Golden Globe for the intense portrayal of supermodel Family, wearing this long, sparkling dress with an up-do and minimal makeup.
5. Remember when Angie went blond for a minute? We haven’t seen someone be able to pull off both blond and brunettes looks with such ease, and it’s a testament to Jolie’s timeless beauty. Here’s she’s serving up Marilyn Monroe vibes, especially with those pouty lips and diamond necklace.
6. When Jolie married actor Billy Bob Thornton, she took a hard left from her usual Hollywood glam, instead experimenting with darker makeup looks, black hair, and rocker girl looks.
7. Here’s another example of her modified look, which she wore to the Tomb Raider premiere back in 2001. Unlike her usual couture get-ups, this baddie dressed in leather pants with a matching belt and a casual black tank top that bared her midriff tats. After all, Lara Croft was an inspiration for women to be more fearless and adventurous.
8. Just because she was experimenting with more boyish rocker looks doesn’t mean that Angelina abandoned her feminine side. That’s obvious in this perfectly fitted, pearly strapless dress which she wore with a clean up-do. Was anyone not envious of those curves?
9. 2003 Angie was a little more grown up. Even her makeup and hair made her look a little older, and not in a frumpy way, but in a sophisticated, worldly way. This semi sheer black turtleneck was worn with sleek, businesswoman slacks and a shawl, with the only pop of glam being those dangling earrings. This was the beginning of her dignified, UN humanitarian journey.
10. When 2005 came around, this was when Brangelina first became a thing. With her new role and relationship, she combined her feminine looks with the edgier ones, giving way to fabulous looks like this deep-V leather dress worn with her hair down.
11. But the deeper she went in her relationship with Brad, the more normal and refined her looks got. She was about to be a married woman to the ultimate hunk of Hollywood, not Billy Bob’s wild and slightly wicked bae. Here, she’s wearing an unusually toned-down grey dress with an elegant chignon.
12. Besides her glamorous and badass looks, Angie had an aesthetic in between which we loved. It was very goddess-inspired, with loose and flowing Grecian lines, and cascading waves tumbling down her shoulders. Here she is looking absolutely breathtaking in a green goddess dress as she’s pregnant with her first biological child.
13. 2012 might have signified a bit of a lull for Angelina, who was seen on screen less, and more often seeking out directorial roles. But she wore this Golden Globes look to prove that she most definitely has still got it, even amongst Hollywood’s young starlets. With a red lip and accents to match, she wore this flawlessly fitted silk dress, which usually shows every flaw, but there are practically none on the great Jolie.
14. This look mixed glam and goth in one of Jolie’s all time favorite colors — black. Although the dress is not matronly, it’s a little less waist-snatching than the other looks we’ve seen her in, but the embroidery makes up for it. She opted for more minimal makeup here, and a subtle cat eye that we love.
15. Again, Angie’s waistline isn’t the focus here, but she did bring out that iconic red lip and effortless loose hair that has become her signature look. This time, it’s worth with a light gray robe-style dress, belted at the waist for a slightly billowing effect. Goddess era for sure!
16. Here’s Jolie in one of her signature Morticia Adams looks, black hair and all, reminding us that her style story over time is cohesive, and she’s never left behind any chic chapter of her past. This black look features a train and a sheer overlay, hemmed with what looks like black ostrich feathers. Her hair is done up, with slight wisps around her face.
17. Jolie’s smile and positive energy is infection here, as you can see from her genuine smile. As this new chapter of being a mom to 4, she opts for the wholesome goddess look, showing off her gorgeous figure without going too intense on the skin-baring details or cleavage.